We, the members of the Libertarian Party of New Mexico, advocate the American tradition of limited government and defend the rights of the individual.
We hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose.
Governments throughout history have regularly operated on the opposite principle that the state has the right to dispose of the lives of individuals and the fruits of their labor. Even within the United States, all political parties other than our own grant to government the right to regulate the lives of individuals and seize the fruits of their labor without their consent.
We, on the contrary, deny the right of any government to do these things, and hold that where governments exist, they must not violate the rights of any individual, namely:
The right to life – accordingly we support prohibition of the initiation of physical force against others; the right to liberty
The right of speech and action – accordingly we oppose all attempts by governments to abridge the freedom of speech and press, as well as government censorship in any form; and
The right to property – accordingly we oppose all government interference with private property such as confiscation, nationalization, and eminent domain, and support the prohibition of trespass, fraud, and misrepresentation.
Since governments, when instituted, must not violate individual rights, we oppose all interference by government in the areas of voluntary and contractual relations among individuals. People should not be forced to sacrifice their lives and property for the benefit of others. They should be left free by government to deal with one another as free traders, and the resultant economic system, the only one compatible with the protection of individual rights, is the free market.
The Libertarian Party of New Mexico is sensitive to the fact that Libertarians in our state hold diverse views on common concerns. Because Libertarian views can wholly diverge on certain issues, the LPNM does not seek to speak on behalf of each individual member by developing its own platform. Rather, the party officially adopts the national Libertarian Party platform while acknowledging that some individual members may hold viewpoints contrary to these principles. The Libertarian Party of New Mexico, through its Central Committee, further adopted and ratified the following platform planks on June 22, 2019.
- Abortion: Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.
- Physician-Assisted Dying: LPNM supports the right of a mentally competent individual to request medication from their physician which could bring about their own death, or to execute a directive for the circumstances under which such medication should be administered, and the right of their physician to provide that medication, in the exercise of their medical judgment.
- Right to Work: LPNM opposes any state or local law that would require workers, as a condition of employment, to pay union dues or fees to organizations that have collective bargaining agreements with unions.
- Legalization of Cannabis: While the NM Legislature has taken the first steps to allowing adult use of cannabis, the enabling legislation is still very restrictive, and full of taxes, regulation that benefits cronies, and illogical anti freedom limitations. The LPNM will be proposing corrective legislation in 2022.
- Expungement: LPNM supports the complete expungement of records associated with victimless crimes, as well as the automatically scheduled expungement of any charges not resulting in conviction.
- Border Wall: LPNM opposes the construction of a physical border wall.
- Gun Control: LPNM supports the right of Americans to keep and bear arms.
- Education: LPNM supports a transition to a fully private education system.
- Property Taxes: LPNM supports the right of every person to own property free from government interference, and therefore supports the elimination of property taxes.
- Occupational Licensing: LPNM supports an individual’s right to select an occupation and earn a living in the manner of their choosing without government restriction.